How can we explain passion?
I wasn’t planning to speak on this today but someone asked me this question and that person was quite desperate. It then occurred to me that this word “passion” as simple as it is, isn’t so simple after all.
It also struck me that, it is the first guiding principle in entrepreneurship and is actually what differentiates failure from success. It actually is what determines sustainable success and staying power in any venture, be it love, academics, career or business.
So today I will be discussing passion- Passion as it relates to entrepreneurship. Let’s get the basics straight.
What is passion?
How do I discover my passion?
I will be answering these questions with more questions.
For me, passion could be described in terms of the following:
- What truly makes you happy?
- What drives you crazy?
- What do you do best?
- And what makes you feel complete?
- What can you do all day long and not get tired of it?
- Warning!!! Be careful to differentiate between passion and ego
One of the huge mistakes people make is that they try to force an interest on themselves. You don’t choose your passions; your passions choose you – Jeff Bezos
Oxford dictionary defines passion as a “strong and barely controllable emotion”.
According to Wikipedia: Passion is a feeling of intense enthusiasm towards or compelling desire for someone or something. Passion can range from eager interest in or admiration for an idea, proposal, or cause; to enthusiastic enjoyment of an interest or activity; to strong attraction, excitement, or emotion towards a person.
Bear in mind that this is the most important business decision you will ever take. Failure here may not be remedied in the course of the business.
In finding your passion, find out what you really enjoy doing, what you have a natural talent for, and then throw your whole heart into doing that, extremely well and over and over again.
The key to discovering your passion is discovering your natural strengths and abilities, no matter how small these abilities seem, do not underestimate them. When you are doing what you love to do, you seem to have a continuous flow of excitement, energy and ideas to push your forward. These continuous flow of ideas actually lead to great things overtime. Never belittle a passion.
When you really enjoy what you do, you feel wonderful about yourself. It affects your entire personality and rubs off on all your relationships with other people. Passion will inspire and encourage you even when you come up against challenges or difficulties. This already sets you apart from your contemporaries and gives you an edge. Bear in mind that passion is unique to an individual. It usually complements individual traits and characteristics.
But remember that you can only honestly find your true passion if you keep an open mind. So now, how does passion play a role or impact your vision?
- Passion is that deep love for what you do or serve
- It fuels confidence
- It creates excitement and is contagious (it incites dedication and maximizes the energy of your team)
- Passion determines failure or progress
- Be passionate: list 25things, cancel 20 (warren buffet)
- Passion is one of the strongest motivators of starting and sustaining career or business path
- Loving what you do is the corner stone of wealth and happiness.
- Build your ideas around your passion
- If the gap or idea that excites you isn’t close to you, find a way of fine tuning it to include what is obtainable to you
- Look at that idea from all perspectives
Choose a job you like and you will never have to work a day of your life.” – Confucius
Most self-made millionaires say that they never worked a day in their life. I think it’s because they turned their hobbies into ventures, so they never regarded a chance to have fun all day as work.
You therefore, must find a field in which you can be totally absorbed, a job or area of endeavor that completely fascinates you, that holds your attention and that is a natural expression of your special talents and abilities.
When you begin your journey of self-actualization, the outcome is not always what you’d imagined it would be. You might head in one direction, only to find it’s led you in a different direction. But you wouldn’t have started the journey towards the first destination, if it wasn’t for the passion behind it. And in the end, wherever you end up is always where you were best suited for and needed to go eventually, as a person, to fulfill destiny.
When you courageously follow what you’re passionate about and keep an open mind about it, you’ll have an amazing & interesting life – the life you always dreamt of living.
Take time to gain clarity about the things you love to do or surround yourself with most of the time. And never allow people talk you out of it. Never allow yourself to be discouraged by naysayers. Get back at them by not quitting. Get back at them by being successful.
- List 12 things or activities you enjoy doing, cancel out 8 things on the list in other of satisfaction. Remain just 4 things on the list that you can’t do without.
- Take a critical look at this list for a long time, it could take days- just take enough time.
- Tie every activity on that list to a business idea. Every activity should branch out into at least 3 things.
- Look at that list one more time
- Check the activities that are most suited to your environment
- Check those that you have identified gaps in their utility.
After the above exercise, you would have gained clarity about yourself and incredibly you would have formed a vision in your head of a way forward. I’ll wait for feedback regarding your progress.
Be you and don’t wait for nobody!!!